Thursday, June 5, 2008

Yummy!

I am not a good cook. I want to be and even more so I want to enjoy cooking. So tonight when I made a terrific dinner I just had to share!

I love websites like All Recipes and Food Network. I rarely if ever have all the ingredients or gadgets called for or I want to make it healthier, so usually I make things up as I go. Usually it turns out pretty good but there are times when I am thankful we have a quick Chinese delivery place near us with a killer Sesame Tofu.

I found a Bourbon Pecan Chicken recipe a while back and after my mom send me a huge bag of fresh pecans from Oklahoma (thanks mom!) I decided to finally give it a shot. As usual I did not have all the ingredients. I also watched an episode of 30 Minute Meals which had a similar recipe that I blended to create a truly wonderful meal according to my kids and myself!

Deann's JD Pecan Chicken
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
splash of milk or half and half
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup finely ground pecans
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs - Italian variety works too
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/8 cup spicy brown mustard
1/8 cup yellow mustard (prepared)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 2/3 tablespoons Jack Daniel's whiskey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
1/2 cup sliced green onions (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
If you have whole pecans take 1/2 and pulse grind in a food processor until they are finely chopped. Then take the remaining pecans and grind until they are the same consistency as your bread crumbs.
Combine nuts and bread crumbs and pour onto a plate.
Beat eggs and half-and-half or milk in a shallow dish.
Pour flour out on a plastic board or plate.
Dust both sides of the chicken with flour. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture and then coat with the nutty-breading. (Really press the chicken into the nutty breading for a thicker coating.)
Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to coat the bottom of the pan with a thin layer. Brown chicken pieces 2 minutes on each side in hot oil or until evenly light golden in color. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in oven until juices run clear and breasts are cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

In a small saucepan, whisk together the mustard, brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, then remove from the burner, and whisk in the 1/4 cup of unsalted butter one piece at a time. Do not return to the heat. (It will cool so work quickly.)

This is also great cold so feel free to make extra for lunches or to take on a picnic. It would be great on a salad too if you make the sauce a little thinner to use as the dressing.

If you try this let me know. I would love to know if you and yours enjoyed it as much as we did.

4 comments:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Sounds yummy! Too bad we have nut allergies over here. :(

petiteblogger said...

That sounds good! I'm impressed that you can make it fit what you have...

Sarah said...

mmmmmmmm.....I am going to have to try that.

Kristina said...

I think my hubby would love that...I'll have to try it sometime.