Saturday, December 15, 2007

Hair Trauma

I will venture to guess that no parenting books even written cover the topic of your child biting her hair off in clumps without hinting that there is some serious neurological condition or something. So when Kendall began doing this I was suprised to say the least. We tried pulling her hair up all the time, threatening to cut her hair like her brothers, time-outs, etc. Nothing worked.

Finally her hair got to be such a mess we had to cut it. First mistake - going to a new place. The lady seemed to know what was best so I sat down to watch the other two kids. What she did was not terrible but certainly worse than what we walked in with. Kendall looked like she was growing out a bad haircut, all shaggy and choppy.

I hoped as it dried it would look better. Nope. Maybe after we wash and style it ourselves. Nope again.

I knew what I had to do. I had to cut it. It had a couple terrible layers so I had to remove one of them and soften it. It also came to a point in the back so I had to even that out too. We talked about it first and she sat very still while I did it. Once she looked in the mirror though she was no longer "OK." She was crushed that her beautiful long curls were gone. It took some talking to get her to settle down but she is still pretty upset over it. I was crushed too but hid it better - I hope.

I am getting used to it and really think she looks adoreable. Pony tails and piggy tails may not be in our near future but that is OK. And to be honest last year her hair was not much shorter than it is now. So it is not the end of the world but in our house it was quite a big deal. Such is the life with little girls!

No comments: